Sunday, January 11, 2009

Shame Off You - Overview

It was great to have everyone back in the same room again. We hit the ground running this morning with the topic of shame (click for notes of this class). It was evident pretty soon that this topic can go deep quickly and surface some hidden lies that can be for our children and ourselves. With this in mind and since we are filling the room, we may close the group to new people in a few weeks. We will play this by ear, but if you want to invite new people, have them come sooner rather than later. We expect that people will want to go deep with this topic.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." - John 10:10

Shame speaks lies to us. Instead of letting us know when we make mistakes, shame tells us we are a mistake. The Scriptures tell us that there is an enemy that is the father of lies, and his goal is to steal, kill, and destroy. He will continue to use shame to feed lies in our hearts to keep us from living out of who God made us to be. Jesus said, "I am the way the way, the truth, and the life," and "the truth will set you free." Living out of the truth will free you up to live out of who God created you to be.

It takes time to transform your minds, but repeating truth instead of the lies will get you there quick. The lies at times will still feel true, but you must choose to believe the truth Jesus has said. Truth is whatever Jesus says is true. Here again on the truth statements that God gave me to replace the lies of shame that I was living out of.

  1. God loves me, Alli loves me, and there are many other people in my life who love me for who I am.
  2. I am a godly man of integrity, and the people who know the real me are drawn to me.
  3. Not everyone will hurt me, and I will trust God to show me who I can open myself to. With God’s help, I will continue to be close to Alli.
  4. I am valuable because I am made in God’s image, and I am His son.
  5. As I give my best, I know that God is always pleased with me because my best is good enough.

value based on performance

No comments: