Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Father of Mine

I will post the notes to the class shortly, but I wanted to put this song up by Everclear, "Father of Mine". It talks about the pain a son had carried when his father left the family. The son focuses more on the hardships of life after the divorce, but their are hints to the deeper pain.

The song starts with the son remebering spending time with his dad. "I remember blue skies walking the block. I loved to hear you talk." Then it shows the father leaving.

At the very end of the song, he mentions having a child of his own, but "I will not let go the pain I have known."

Jesus does not want us to carry around this pain. When Jesus starts His ministry, He states that He has come to preach good news to the poor... to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind... to release the oppressed... [and] to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour (Luke 4:18).

Jesus desires to release the oppressed. When we carry the pain, we live out of the shame. And, then we never know the reality of the abundant life Jesus promises.

No comments: